Hot air balloon rides are a great way to experience thrilling views of our beautiful country. They are a safe and family friendly alternative to other aerial activities such as base-jumping and paragliding. So what are you waiting for? Start planning your hot air balloon ride today! Below are some pointers with regards to how best to plan, what to expect and what to look for in a service provider.
When planning your trip, always take the following into account:
• The weather – hot air ballooning is very weather dependent. Hot air balloons require clear skies and calm surface winds to be able to launch and land safely. Pilots will only call the flight on if it is safe to do so. It is not uncommon for balloon flights to be rescheduled on account of the weather, so ensure you set aside a few dates as back up if your initial flight date does not work out.
• Balloons fly very early in the morning, so be prepared to meet your pilot and crew about half an hour before the sun comes up. It’s an early start but well worth it! We promise.
• Other passengers – make sure that everyone you would like to take along (or surprise) will be ok with heights and small spaces.
• Pack sunglasses and protective clothing such as a cap or hat to shield your head from the heat of the burners.
• It is best to dress in casual comfortable clothes and flat closed shoes. Jeans and old trainers are best.
A hot air balloon ride is so much more than a trip in the air – it’s an experience. With a quality service provider, you can typically expect the following 3-4 hour hot air balloon flight experience:
• Pre-flight beverages including tea, coffee, hot chocolate and marshmallows while the crew prepare the balloon for inflation
• Opportunity to assist with the inflation of the balloon
• Boarding of the balloon and safety briefing from your pilot
• Scenic hot air balloon flight of approximately one hour
• In-flight champagne or traditional champagne celebration on landing
• Opportunity to assist with the pack up of the balloon
• Ballooning breakfast
• Flight certificate ceremony and in-flight photo presentation
Finally, it is crucial to choose a respected and experienced service provider. Make sure that the company you choose to fly with boasts the following:
• 100% safety record
• Fully licensed and reliable air service provider
• CAA approved operator
• Fully licensed and highly experienced hot air balloon pilots
• Fare refund policy in place for weather postponements
• Legal liability insurance of a minimum of R1 000 000 per passenger
Life Ballooning SA
If you are looking for the romance and adventure of a hot air balloon flight look no further than Life Ballooning SA. Each flight is a special occasion celebrated with in-flight champagne, and with memories in the making, they will capture the highlights of your balloon flight with their signature “balloon selfie stick” – a photo memento for you to treasure at home.